No analysis of Milford Haven nuke sub accident, says MOD
9:00am Sunday 20th January 2013 in News
There has been no assessment of the consequences of any nuclear submarine-related accident in Milford Haven, MPs have been told.
Jonathan Edwards, Plaid MP for Carmarthen East and Dinefwr, asked the Secretary of State for Defence what "representations he had received from the Welsh Government in respect of his department's assessment of the casualty rate in west Wales consequent on any Trident-related accident in Milford Haven".
His question follows the major row last year when Wales First Minister Carwyn Jones said Milford Haven would "welcome" the Trident nuclear submarines should they have to leave their base in an independent Scotland in the future.
Answering, Conservative defence minister Mark Francois said: "I am not aware of any assessment having been made by the MOD pf the potential effect on casualty rates in west Wales consequent on any Trident-realted accident in Milford Haven nor of any representation having been received from the Welsh Government in respect of such an assessment."