Pembroke Dock family saved by carbon monoxide alarm
11:44am Wednesday 13th March 2013 in News
A Pembroke Dock family had a lucky escape after their carbon monoxide alarm alerted them to a potentially fatal leak of the deadly gas in their home.
Mid & West Wales Fire and Rescue Service is urging the public to be alert to the dangers of carbon monoxide following the incident on Tuesday evening.
Residents at the property were alerted to the presence of the gas by their carbon monoxide detector, which fortunately provided an early warning allowing them to safely leave their home.
Fire crews from Pembroke Dock fire station utilised breathing apparatus and a positive pressure fan to ventilate the property.
They also monitored the levels of carbon monoxide with specialist gas detection meters which confirmed the presence of the deadly gas. Fire crews administered oxygen therapy to an adult and child. They were then conveyed to hospital by ambulance, with one further child for precautionary checks.
The Fire Service’s County Community Safety Manager Sion Slaymaker said, ‘The occupants of this premises escaped unscathed due to the early warning provided by their carbon monoxide detector. This incident serves as a timely reminder of the need to be vigilant to the dangers of this invisible, odorless and tasteless gas.’ Sion added: “The Service is currently promoting carbon monoxide awareness and further information and advice is available on our website www.mawwfire.gov.uk.
‘We would urge the public to consider having a free Home Fire Safety Check by qualified fire officers from your community. To arrange a visit please contact 0800 169 1234 or visit the website.”