Three years in jail for two attempted abductions and sexual assault

Swansea Crown Court

Swansea Crown Court

First published in News
Last updated

A MAN who tried to abduct two 15 year old girls from the streets of Haverfordwest has been jailed for three years today.

Saman Osmanzadeh, 25, a Kurdish national, carried out almost identical attacks three days apart and twice sexually assaulted his second victim.

Judge Paul Thomas, at Swansea crown court, said he found it “very worrying” that Osmanzadeh refused to accept the jury’s verdicts or sign the sexual offenders’ register.

But he would sign it, added the judge, and abide by the conditions attached or he would receive an additional sentence.

Judge Thomas also heard that a member of Osmanzadeh’s family had approached the sister of one of his victims and “tried to persuade her to go back to the police.”

Judge Thomas said he wanted to make it clear that “serious and very unpleasant consequences” would follow if it happened again.

Osmanzadeh, of Goshawk Road, Haverfordwest, had been convicted unanimously after a trial at Swansea crown court of two offences of attempted abduction and two of sexual assault.

He tried to force the girls into his car on the pretext of giving them a lift home for their own safety.

The first girl had been approached as she walked home near Crundale Park on November 26, 2013. Osmanzadeh put an arm around her and tried to walk her to his car but she resisted.

The second girl had been waiting for her then boyfriend in Swan Square, Haverfordwest, when Osmanzadeh began talking to her. He told her she was beautiful and twice kissed her on the cheek.

She began shaking with fear as Osmanzadeh tried to get her into his car, and when that failed tried to walk her around the back of a Chinese restaurant.

Osmanzadeh, a father of two with a third child due next month, gave up when her boyfriend arrived.

Osmanzadeh’s barrister, Frank Phillips, said he had been remanded in jail since his conviction two months ago and had found the experience very difficult, isolated as he was because of the nature of his offending and language difficulties.

Judge Thomas said he was in no doubt that Osmanzadeh had found young girls of that age attractive and that his intentions had been sexual.

But he accepted that he had been in a position to use more force than he had done.

However, it was “very worrying behaviour” and Osmanzadeh’s continued refusal to admit to himself and his partner what he had done was “a factor that raises concern for the future”.

Judge Thomas said Osmanzadeh was, in most senses, a good family man but he had a wider duty to protect young girls and to mark public disapproval of his conduct.

Osmanzadeh was ordered to register with the police as a sex offender indefinitely and banned from working with children or vulnerable people.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:02am Mon 8 Sep 14

Milford Matters says...

Why was there no recommendation or warning to this Kurdish national that he would be deported after his sentence is completed or if he re offends?
Why was there no recommendation or warning to this Kurdish national that he would be deported after his sentence is completed or if he re offends? Milford Matters
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree