Online campaign to save Hubberston fort gathers pace
10:07am Friday 13th May 2011 in Milford Mercury news
An internet campaign to save Hubberston Fort is gaining momentum.
Two weeks ago the Mercury reported how the Victorian fort, built in the 1860s, was named among most endangered archeological sites by a leading heritage magazine.
British Archaeology placed the site as the fifth most at risk site in the UK.
Since then, a Save Hubberston Fort Facebook site has sprung up, attracting more than 475 friends.
A petition on gopetition.com has also been started, with more than 100 signatures by Tuesday morning.
The petition reads: “We call upon Milford Haven Port Authority and Pembrokeshire County Council to commit to finding a sustainable and long term future for Hubberston Fort, and one which preserves the heritage of the site for generations to come.”
One of the Facebook group’s supporters, Mike Hillen, told the Mercury: “My opinion is that the Milford Haven Port Authority should be ashamed that a property in their care has been listed as the fifth most endangered archeological site in the UK.
“There are grants available for sites like this. A possible use for part of it could be something like an outward bound centre, like TYF in St Davids.
“But firstly it should be made safe so the public can access the site.”
Milford Haven Port Authority said: “We are committed to finding a long-term, sustainable use that is sympathetic to the quality of the building and sensitive to the history of the site.”
The fort was built to boost naval defences around the strategically important Milford Haven waterway but was abandoned shortly after the First World War.
American soldiers were based at the site during the Second World War but since then the site has fallen into disrepair.
Search ‘Save Hubberston fort’ on Facebook to find out more.
Comments are closed on this article.