1,500 join battle to save Hubberston fort
11:30am Thursday 30th June 2011 in Milford Mercury news
A campaign to save Hubberston Fort has attracted 1,500 supporters on social network site Facebook in a month.
One of the campaigners hoping to save the fort, which overlooks Gelliswick Bay, is Mike Hillen. He says as well as the Save Hubberston Fort facebook group, more than 460 signatures have already been collected since the campaign began last month.
Mr Hillen said: ‘’People are fed up of seeing the fort as it is.
‘’We want it to be sorted out for the good of the fort and the good of community.’’ The fort was named as one of the country’s most endangered archaeological sites by a leading heritage magazine earlier this year.
The site’s owners Milford Haven Port Authority has submitted the former Victorian Barracks site as a possible location for new housing and employment allocation as part of the Pembrokeshire County Council’s Local Development Plan.
However, Mr Hillen doesn’t understand how housing could be built on a site of such importance and with a grade II listing.
Port authority chief executive, Alec Don said: “Hubberston Fort in Milford Haven is an incredibly important and wonderful historical monument.
“Milford Haven Port firmly believes that a carefully considered plan is needed to ensure it has a viable and sustainable future.
“Whether it involves its use for residential, offices or even leisure related activities, we would welcome ideas on how to give it a new lease of life for future generations, and will need to work closely with Cadw and others to make such ideas a reality.”
Mr Don said the new local development plan provides a perfect opportunity to focus attention on the future of the site and its surrounding area.
‘’We hope consultation over the local plan will bring some thoughtful input from people in Pembrokeshire and beyond,” he added.
The local development plan gives people and organisations the opportunity to suggest sites they think are suitable for development in the county.
To support or object to any alternative sites highlighted in the local development plan, observations should be submitted by email or letter to the Development Plans Team at County Hall by August 3.