A prolific offender who smashed up an ambulance, later had his life saved by the paramedics he had threatened, a court has heard.

David James Summers caused almost £1000 worth of damage to the emergency vehicle before leaping into the path of a car, and suffering serious injuries.

He spent three weeks in intensive care and could have died without the immediate treatment from the ambulance crew.

He had earlier threatened to slit one of their throats, magistrates had been told.

Summers appeared at Haverfordwest magistrates court on Tuesday pleading guilty to a string of offences including three counts of affray and two assaults.

The court heard how Summers, of 6 Clare Walk, Pembroke, was discovered unconscious after a drinking session, on March 14, in Pembroke Dock.

The 36-year-old was taken by ambulance to Withybush hospital but during the journey, the driver heard a ‘commotion’ from the back of the ambulance.

He described his colleague – who was with Summers in the back – as looking ‘physically shaken’ as he pulled over on the Cleddau Bridge.

Prosecutor David Weale said Summers had grabbed the paramedic’s right hand, telling him to slit his [Summers’] throat before threatening to do the same to the paramedic.

He then began punching the ambulance walls and cupboards.

Summers also spat blood and phlegm at the paramedic, but luckily just missed him.

The paramedic said it was the first incident of abuse he had encountered during his career.

Summers fled the ambulance straight into the path of an oncoming vehicle.

The same ambulance crew treated Summers at the scene and took him to Withybush hospital “saving his life”.

Summers, who had a suspended custodial sentence for assaulting a police officer hanging over him, spent three weeks in intensive care following the collision.

Summers pleaded guilty to the affray and causing £947.40 worth of criminal damage to the ambulance.

In court Summers also admitted assaulting two men and stealing five bottles of vodka, two bottles of whisky, a case of Guinness and one sponge cake from the Lidl store, in Pembroke Dock, earlier on the same day.

He was also charged with a third affray following an incident at his home last week during which officers had to use CS gas to subdue him.

Defending solicitor Kate Williams said her client was very sorry and extremely grateful that the paramedics he had abused had saved his life.

Ms Williams said her client realised a custodial sentence was inevitable.

“He is a troubled individual who suffers with mental health issues,” she added.

Magistrates described Summers as “a prolific offender” and said they took the charges very seriously before imposing two custodial sentences of six months with a one-month reduction for his early guilty plea for the two separate incidences.

Summers’ suspended sentence was also activated for a reduced period of eight weeks, resulting in a one-year total custodial sentence.