FIREFIGHTERS have underlined the importance of working smoke alarms following a flat fire in Milford Haven last week.

Photographs released by the homeowner's permission show the damage to the property at Pill Fold, following the blaze last Sunday.

And the pictures also show how important it is to close other doors within a house to prevent further smoke damage and stop fire spreading.

Posting on Facebook, Milford Haven Fire Station, said: "Following a recent fire in the Milford Haven area, please see from the pictures the importance of closing doors within your home.

"As you can see one picture is from the room where the fire started, the others are from a bedroom where the door wasn’t closed, and finally a bedroom where the door was closed.

"Thankfully the property had working smoke alarms which alerted the residents to the fire which in turn saved their lives.

"If you do not have working smoke detectors or even require fire safety advice, please don’t hesitate to contact your local Fire Station."

Find Milford Haven Fire Station on Facebook here.