A Neyland man threatened to run his ex-partner over and petrol-bomb her house.

Barry Morris, of Charles Street, pleaded guilty to a threatening phone recording when he appeared at Haverfordwest magistrates court on Wednesday, January 30,

Vaughan Pritchard-Jones, prosecuting, said after Morris' 20-year relationship ended in 2018, his ex-partner had tried to tell him that she did not want to reconcile the relationship, and told him she had another man in her life.

The woman received an angry call from Morris, 52, on January 1, telling her to leave his daughter and granddaughter alone or she would be sorry.

Mr Pritchard-Jones said: “He rang three more times saying similar things, and that he would run her over in the street and tell the police it was an accident and his hand had slipped on the steering wheel.”

Morris also stated he knew people who could petrol-bomb her house, and sent texts calling her abusive names the following day.

When his ex-partner agreed to speak to him at his flat he became abusive and threatening, stating she had taken a risk by coming, and asked: “What’s stopping me from slitting your throat now?”

The terrified woman ran out to her car and went to a friend’s house, but was concerned the police would not believe she had been threatened.

She and her friend recorded a 28 minute conversation where he made reference to running her over and burning her shed down. He stated he could get people ‘up the line’ to petrol-bomb her home.

Mark Layton, defending, said: “He accepts the relationship has broken down, this was not about any form of reconciliation.”

Mr Layton that issues relating to his grandchildren had led to Morris losing his temper while being recorded.

“His ex-partner knew he was in a highly emotional state and would say things that he did not mean.”

Magistrates imposed a 12-month conditional discharge and a three-year restraining order prohibiting Morris from contacting the complainant.

He was ordered to pay £105 in costs and a surcharge.