I WAS delighted this week when someone stopped me in Charles Street to say that TRM is a wonderful reminder of times gone by in Milford, especially the fishing memories.

That makes up for when someone says to me…"Isn't it time you packed it in?"

I told him I'll continue to act as a go-between from the past to the present day for as long as I can, so, for him, and all of you who enjoy these weekly trips, which, I know, includes Mr and Mrs Henry Davies, and Mr John Hancock, here we go again.

In TRM trawler corner this week, at the request of Chris Sizer, is the Milford Marquis M14.

A steel-sided trawler, built in 1941 in Selby. 316 tons. 142' long. Landed at Milford from July 1946 to June 1951.

In Dec 1941 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty to operate as a minesweeper.

Skippers: Albert Saunders; Benny Riches; Jimmy Jobson and Harry Rich.

On 12/7/46 the WWG wrote…"On Wednesday evening, the following wireless message was received from the Milford Marquis...'Off the Porcupines, fishing in 300 fathoms, everything going fine’.

“This maiden voyage of Milford's super-diesel trawler, is creating intense interest in the port, and on all sides can be heard praise for the enterprise of the Milford Steam Trawling Co, and its Managing Director (Mr J C Ward, Docks Manager) whose enthusiasm has been infectious, and who has been chiefly responsible for the Company's decision to invest in big oil-burning vessels.

“The Marquis is beautifully fitted up, particular attention being paid to the comfort of the crew, who have a clothes drying room, wash basin and flush lavatories.

“The boat also carries two lifeboats, derrick swung. Skipper Albert Saunders, her Master, has a bridge of which he may well be proud. There is an inboard log indicating speed and mileage on a chart, Echo depth sounding gear, telemotor steering, an electric winch (fitted by the Admiralty from a captured German trawler) and controlled refrigeration for the fish room. She does over 14 knots compared with the 10 knots of an ordinary Castle trawler, and on the homeward run, averaged 13 knots against the tide.

“On his return home from his first trip in the Marquis, Skipper Albert Saunders was interviewed and said…’In my candid opinion, as a skipper of 25 years deep sea experience, steam has had it, and my ship, the first diesel-engined of its kind in the country, is the beginning of a new era in the fishing industry’."

Five years later, in June 1951, the vessel was sold to Dutch owners, and here's a snap of her.

Royston Holman, one of many TRM readers who have commented on Doug Joyce's memories of his days with the Milford Haven Army Cadets, has given me this photo to go alongside Doug's tales. It's from 1947, probably taken at the Drill Hall, and Royston believes may also include some from the Neyland troop.

If anyone recognises themselves, friends or family in the snap, please get in touch.

Meanwhile, let's catch up with Doug and his memoirs.

"1961 saw us at Leek, in Staffordshire, about as far north as we had ever been in the Derbyshire hills. All our training was done in these hills, which were vast, just the place for map reading and battle tactics.

“At this camp, our day out was at Manchester, and I could not let this opportunity go, I visited the football ground and booked 20 seats for Saturday's home game.

“In the evening we took them all to one of the city's cinemas, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the film.

“We arrived back in camp about midnight to a good hot supper, thanks to our cooks, bless 'em. Needless to say we let them all have an extra hour in bed the next morning. A few days later we were off to the match at Manchester, and saw them win.

“1963 saw us at another new camp to us, Crowborough, East Sussex. This time we went by train, and taking 200 cadets across London on the Underground to catch our next train, we split up into six parties, with officers and warrant officers in charge of each party. My job was looking after the baggage party with Company Sergeant Major Henry Kelly. The journey went well, and we lost no one, nor any baggage, and arrived safe and well.

“The camp was situated on rather a long slope, with the cookhouse at the bottom…what a drag eating sometimes! The training area was mostly hilly and wooded, with a small river running through it. I only heard one complaint about it, and that was from our MO…Dr Speedy. He reckoned it was too hilly for him.

“He was a nice person, sadly he has passed on.

“Our outing for the day was to Brighton, which, in the words of the cadets, was 'FABULOUS'. They all enjoyed it very much. When you think about it, in those days, none of the cadets went further than Haverfordwest, unless they were very lucky. And if I remember, we only charged them about £3, and that included their trips and outings. Our day out at this camp was in London. We were met at the House of Commons by our local MP, Desmond Donnelly, and shown round the House. We all went for lunch at the Union Jack Club, a tour around the Tower of London, back for tea at the UJ Club, then off to the Theatre to see The Black and White Minstrel Show, with Harry Secombe, Leslie Crowther, and the Toppers. All the lads marvelled at this show, chiefly because of the colours and lighting (and of course the acting)."

There'll be more to come from Doug, meanwhile, it's time for our teasers.

The answer to last week's puzzle was 120…and was well calculated by Stephen Smedley, Tony and Christine Hesslegrave, Larry Robinson, Les Haynes, John Glover, Joyce Layton, Joan Earles, Charles Weatherall, Anne and Jets Llewellyn, Gerry Thomas and Roy Holman.

Thanks to all who took part.

Have a crack at this one. Can you add eight 8s together so they add up to exactly one thousand?

A final thought for this week.

I used to laugh at my mum and dad when they declared..."time flies as you get older”.

Now I know what they meant. One morning, aged 53, I went into the kitchen to make us some coffee, and when I came out I discovered I was 74!

See you soon.