Manderwood Pembrokeshire League Division One:

Goodwick United 3-1 Carew

A workmanlike performance by Goodwick United on their own Phoenix Park pitch saw them stay top of the table at the expense of a useful-looking Carew outfit which started the day in fifth spot and was always in contention until the final moments.

The Rooks were trailing by 2-1 in the dying moments with Jack Christopher posing a considerable threat at a corner which The Phoenix Boys somehow scrambled clear and two quick passes out of defence saw player/coach Chris O’Sullivan in the clear.

‘Sully’ had come on late to to shore up a tired-looking home defence but will be revelling in the ‘super-sub’ tag after he kept cool when his first shot was parried by Carew keeper Tom Davies, moving quickly to latch on the rebound and drill the ball into the roof of the net as the visiting defenders tried in vain to close him down.

Goodwick had also started the game well as they took the lead after only two minutes when referee Huw George, who had a good game, spotted a Carew push in the box and had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Up stepped home striker Jordan Griffiths to fire a low left foot shot to Tom Davies’s right side but although the keeper guessed right there was sufficient power for him be unable to keep the ball out of the back of net.

To be fair to Carew they showed why they have done so well this season as they pressed forward, with Sam Christopher and Rob Whitfield showing their pace and Jack Christopher always looking dangerous whenever he was anywhere near the Goodwick box.

This was particularly so when crosses came in, although from one corner he suffered a knock when he was involved in an accidental collision with James Gwilt where he came off second best.

The Rooks definitely had the better of the second quarter and deservedly drew level after good work by Haydn Shapcott, Scott Ferney and Jack Christopher saw Rob Whitfield perfectly placed to drill a low right-footer past Gwilt.

Sam Christopher had a shot straight at Gwilt and Ferney rounded Gwilt, only to be recalled by referee George for offside, whilst Jack Christopher had a clear header from a corner but was unable to make sufficient contact, and Gwilt made a cracking save to deny Sam Christopher.

Whatever the management team of Wayne and Chris O’Sullivan said at half time it seemed to work because Goodwick came out looking sharper, led by skipper Adam Raymond, Carl Hedley and Johnny Horgan.

Only a strong clearance by Tom Davies from a corner saved Carew’s bacon – but Goodwick  re-established their led from a goalmouth melee where Jordan Griffiths just beat team-mate Kieran O’Brien to a simple tap-in.

From there it was nip and tuck as Goodwick held a slight edge and Carew were always in with a chance of an equaliser – but found Wayne O’Sullivan, Scott Delaney, Steff Hayes and Iestyn Evans staying focussed.

Indeed The Rooks were on the attack in the closing moments when Chris O’Sullivan struck to help maintain his side’s unbeaten record after nine games, whilst Carew now find themselves in eighth place in the table.    

Goodwick United: James Gwilt, Steff Hayes, Wayne O’Sullivan, Scott Delaney, Iestyn Evans, Kieran O’Brien, Carl Hedley, Johnny Horgan, Adam Raymond, Jordan Griffiths, Lee Hudgell. Subs: Steve Blackford, Steve Dockerty, Chris O’Sullivan.

Carew: Tom Davies, Tom Arthur, Max Brindley, Shaun Whitfield, Tom Grover, Rob Whitfield, Haydn Shapcott, Jack Christopher, Alex Bailey, Sam Christopher, Scott Ferney. Subs: Dan Bates, Zac Rowell, Scott Richards.

Referee: Huw George.