Division Three West A: Neyland 71-3 Tregaron

The win was straightforward - but the conditions anything but as Neyland made sure they'd be top of the table for Christmas with 11 tries against struggling Tregaron.

Centre Alex Codd led the way with a try hat trick as the All Blacks attacked at will, leading 45-3 at half time and then adding 26 unanswered points thereafter.

The pitch survived the morning storms but kick off was then delayed half an hour with the visitors held up en route due to fallen trees on the road.

And when they did arrive, the Mid Wales team could only field 14 men with uncontested scrums from the start.

But in a frantic opening, it was Tregaron who actually took the lead with a penalty from scrum half Gethin Jones, but less than 10 minutes later Neyland had a bonus point sealed with tries from Sam Cataki, Ben Williams, Patrick Bellerby, and Codd.

The latter added a second score before the break and Iestyn Evans also crossed. Namesake George meanwhile, also grabbed a try and landed five conversions.

Coaches Graham Richards and Steve Evans emptied the bench at half time and with the Buirds brothers both back in the pack, on permit from Whitland, Neyland dominated the early stages of the second half as well.

Tom Hughes crossed moments after coming on before Owain Evans rounded off some neat interplay to score.

And despite having winger Dillon McGaffin sin binned, it was Codd who added a third after winning the race to a loose ball hacked ahead by Bellerby. The latter then got his second try following an inside pass from Hughes.

Evans added three more conversions.

To be fair to Tregaron they didn't cave in despite playing against a strong wind second half, and it took some dogged late Neyland defence to keep them out after prop Dorian Pugh had led a series of charges towards the line.

No 9 Jones also did well to keep his side going on a difficult afternoon, and if nothing else, they will be relieved to have another long away trip out of the way.

All Blacks back top - for now:

For varying reasons, this will be a game both sides will be happy to have out the way.

For Neyland it's a bonus point win in the bag, and another game done ahead of the inevitable fixture pile up that plagues all clubs at the end of the season. It's not always easy to stay focussed in circumstances like that, but as I've said before when the All Blacks have front-foot ball they can put sides to the sword.

They top the table although won't be getting carried away given Milford have three games in hand to below them. Injuries have crippled them in recent weeks and they need players back fit post Christmas if they are to maintain any kind of promotion challenge. Having the Buirds brothers back for the day made a clear difference to their current squad depth.

As for Tregaron, they turned up and fulfilled the fixture. It was a tough afternoon, made worse by weather and travel problems, but it was far better than having points deducted and having to re-arrange an end of season trip.

One win in nine games is not a good return so far, but with St Davids and Llangwm to play twice, and the Quins again, they'll target improved results in early 2019.

Man of the match - Alex Codd:

Ironically, Neyland scored less points with the wind than they did against it, although referee Martin Beazer may have been a little prompt with his full time whistle. Quite understandably too and the official reffed sensibly given the situation.

But when a side runs in 11 tries there tends to be a few stand out players but Codd's hat trick, and the manner in which he threatened constantly with ball in hand, means he gets the nod.

Graham Richards (Neyland head coach): "In the end it was just good to play.

"Obviously things didn't start well with them being held up and uncontested scrums but we got the game done.

"There was standing water here this morning so in the end the delay and the strong winds probably helped."

Neyland: Patrick Bellerby, Delme Bateman, Alex Codd, George Williams, Henry McBeth, Dillen Mcgaffin, George Evans, Jack Harries, Gavin Campbell, Sam Cataki, Scott Buirds, Nathan Banner, Iestyn Evans, Owain Evans, Ben Williams. Replacements: Mark James, Richard Jones, Jimmy Buirds, Chris Busby, Tom Hughes.

Referee: Martin Beazer.