Division One West: Tenby United 0-0 Crymych (match abandoned after 20 minutes)

They did everything to get the game on at Heywood Lane - but eventually the torrential weather won the day with referee Peter Edwards forced to call a halt to proceedings 20 minutes in.

Pockets of surface water were apparent before kick off but the situation soon worsened in the relentless rain, and after a number of players lost their footing at the breakdown just outside the Crymych 22, Edwards decided enough was enough.

By that point the influence of the conditions was already apparent, with respective No 10s Shane Rossiter and Gareth Davies both missing a penalty kick to touch in the howling winds, although both sides did have spells of pressure.

Crymych twice wasted a platform from a five metre attacking scrum whilst Tenby, who kicked off with the elements behind them, had a try for full back Jack Tucker disallowed for a forward pass - and centre Aaron James was off target with a penalty.

But by 3pm, both sets of players were back in the changing rooms and referee Edwards said: "There were a couple of spots by kick off I was concerned about and they soon became a lot worse in the rain.

"When pools of water started forming and players were losing their footing there was no choice.

"It was too dangerous."

A damp squib:

In the context of the table, today was crucial for Tenby and I don't blame them for trying to get the game on.

And sure enough, when I arrived at 1.45pm the pitch had seemingly held up ok. By 2.25pm, I wasn't so sure.

It was set to be one of those days where either coach would snap your hand away if you offered him a 3-0 win. Instead, all players and coaches had an early finish on the pitch - and an early start in the bar.

And given it was Tenby's last home before Christmas, and Crymych had a bus for the way back, many of them would have snapped your hand away if you'd offered them that too.

But in all seriousness, the referee was right. Officials are constantly reminded player safety is paramount and the moment Mr Edwards sensed danger, he had little choice.

As for the Seasiders, Kidwelly's win over Gowerton today leaves them bottom of the table and with a hell of lot to do to survive relegation. Their next game is Whitland away and it is, you guessed it, 'must win'.

Tenby United: Jack Tucker, Geraint Powell, Aaron James, Moritz Neumann, Jordan Asparassa, Shane Rossiter, Ben Pugh, Huw Evans, Tom Barass, Rob Luly, Roy Osborne, Luke Dedman, Harry Phillips, Luke Hansford, Luke Broadhust. Replacements: Ethan Morgan, Nicky Guymer, Andrew Cooke, Lloyd Thomas, Lewis Davies.

Crymych: Nick Bevan, Tomos Lewis, Gethin Gibby, Tomi Jones, Laurence Headlam, Gareth Davies, Dafydd Phillips, Steff Harries, Aled Harries, Ryan Rees, Matthew Freebury, Rhys Richards, Rhys Davies, Guto Davies, Osian Davies. Replacements: Morgan James, Llew Rees, Tom Powell, Tomos Phillips, Carwyn Jones.

Referee: Peter Edwards.