West Wales Cup Round 4: Herbrandston 0-5 Goodwick United

It went to script at Herbrandston as Goodwick United stayed on course for a third West Wales Cup win in four seasons after coming through a scrappy opening to run out 5-0 winners.

But for 40 minutes we had a game on our hands as hosts Herbie, making their first appearance in the last 16, matched the visitors for effort and endeavour as tackles flew in on both sides.

In the closing moments of the first half though, Steven Dockerty and Chris O’Sullivan scored to put the Phoenix Boys in control - and their fitness and quality told in the second period as Jordan Griffiths struck twice either side of a Rhys Dalling goal, while Jonty Bennett saw red for Herbie.

Inevitably the conditions made for a fragmented start and in the swirling wind, it was the long throws of Goodwick full back Stefan Hayes which the looked the most likely source of a goal as twice he prompted scrambles which the home defence survived.

The first clear chance fell to Lee Hudgell as he latched onto a long ball from Wayne O’Sullivan and went through one on one with Leighton Harding – only for the keeper to save brilliantly with his outstretched leg.

Herbie had moments of threat as well as Marc Gelona and Andre Algieri were both prominent in trying to take matters to Goodwick, but nothing fashioned into clear chances as away keeper James Gwilt went largely untroubled.

And then just as frustration was creeping into Wayne O’Sullivan’s side they took the lead five minutes before half time as Dockerty did well to cut in from wide on the right, dribble into the area and hammer a shot in off the post.

Moments later it was 2-0, as Griffiths broke free and then pulled the ball back for O’Sullivan to finish crisply from the edge of the box.

The second half followed the same vein as Sean Thomas saw his side fight hard without having any real spells of pressure, with Scott Reid going closest to pulling one back.

But as the cup tie was petering out, Goodwick upped the ante in the final 15 minutes.

First it was Griffiths who went clean through and rounded Harding to score before Bennett received his second yellow for an off the ball skirmish.

And the Phoenix Boys capitalised as Wayne O’Sullivan’s free kick found its way through to Dalling, and the substitute kept cool to lift the ball over Harding and into the net.

Griffiths added the fifth late on as he finished well from Matty Delaney’s through ball as Goodwick eased into the last eight – and are now just two wins away from the now familiar stage of the Liberty Stadium.

For Herbie focus will now turn to survival - but to compound a bad day for them Milford United beat St Clears 2-0, meaning they trail the Robins by six points in the battle to stay up.

Herbrandston: Leighton Harding, Ryan Davies, Jonty Bennett, Adrian Rees, McCauley Marshallsay, Sean Williams, Marc Gelona, Andrew Mathias, Andre Algieri, Ed Smith, Scott Reid. Subs: Scott Findlay, Callum English, Lewis Nicholas, Tom Philpot, McCauley Carter.

Goodwick United: James Gwilt, Stefan Hayes, Wayne O’Sullivan, Scott Delaney, Llyr Tobin, Matty Delaney, Kieran O’Brien, Chris O’Sullivan, Steven Dockerty, Lee Hudgell, Jordan Griffiths. Subs: Steve Blackford, Rhys Dalling, Jonny Horgan.

Referee: Dai Badger.