Manderwood Pembrokeshire League Division 1: Clarbeston Road 3-4 St Clears

A late penalty from Steve Thomas gave St Clears the points from a see-saw game at Clarbie Road.

For an end of season affair, Clarbie’s last match of the campaign, there was no shortage of action and with the scores locked at 3-3, it was Thomas who buried a spot kick low into the bottom corner after home centre back Charlie George had brought down Aidan Rainbow in the box.

That came minutes after a red card to Clarbie winger Joules Ward – who earlier on had opened the scoring just five minutes when his angled shot beat Nico Setaro at his near post and found the top of the net.

St Clears were level six minutes later though when the lively Will Evans ended a mazy run with a superbly placed left foot shot that found the corner from 20 yards out.

The end to end start continued as Clarbie immediately went back in front when player manager Matthew Ellis curled a free kick against the bar – and the ball rebounded towards Rheinallt George who duly headed in from close range.

Ben John then headed wide from another Ellis free kick - but for the rest of the half it was St Clears in the ascendancy with Clarbie keeper Lee Scott at full stretch to push away Rainbow’s curling shot before Nick Squire headed against the bar.

And just two minutes after the break Scott Page’s side were level again, Sean Seymour-Davies making no mistake from close range.

The same player was involved again on 61 minutes went St Clears went ahead, with his flick on from a Nathan Evans free kick finding the net via a deflection off Charlie George.

And straight after they should have had another as the ball rebounded into the path of Thomas eight yards out, but he could only volley over.

Clarbie then missed a big chance to level when Josh Wood was thwarted by the legs of Setaro from point blank range but the full back made amends with the goal of the game on 76 minutes – hammering an unstoppable 25 yard volley into the top corner.

But soon after Ward saw a straight red after lunging in on Rainbow, and from the free kick that followed Will Evans forced a save out of Scott.

Then with little under 10 minutes left George bundled Rainbow over, and striker Thomas kept his nerve with the spot kick to beat Scott on his right hand side.

Clarbie did fashion one last chance when John shot inches wide of the post, but they will finish the season in eighth place while the Saints, who still have two games left, lie seventh and could yet overtake Pennar with four points from their last two games.

Man of the match – Will Evans: The youngster’s goal summed up his display. His movement and pace troubled Clarbie all night and he produced more quality than most when on the ball. Has all the makings of a very good player.

Clarbeston Road: Lee Scott, Llywellyn George (Richard Bevan 55), Rheinallt George, Charlie George, Rickie Thomas (Joe Griffiths 62), Joules Ward, Raph Barnett, Matthew Ellis, Josh Wood, Matthew Davies, Ben John.

St Clears: Nico Setaro, Danny Peters, Jonny Thomas, Martin Thomas, Nick Squire, Kyran Lewis (Jon Seeley 86), Aidan Rainbow (Matthew Morris 83), Nathan Evans, Will Evans (Joe Gouldingay 90), Sean Seymour-Davies, Steve Davies.

Referee: Charles Davies.