Manderwood Pembrokeshire League Division 2: Merlins Bridge 2nds 2-1 Fishguard Sports

The champagne remains on ice for Fishguard Sports as they were denied the chance to lift the Division Two trophy by Merlins Bridge 2nds at The Racecourse this afternoon.

Barring an unlikely set of results (and huge turnaround in goal difference) the Sports will still be crowned champions - but the Wizards were clearly determined not to let it happen in their own back yard.

With a strong wind behind them the home side got a great start as Steve McNabney teed up Nathan Thomas, and the midfielder drilled a low right footed shot past Dean Hopson.

The keeper then did well to push out Mcnabney's powerful effort after he'd cut into the box from out wide and towards the end of the half, the striker went close again when his eight yard shot was deflected over.

At the other end Fishguard had appeals for a penalty turned down when home centre back Paul Thomas survived a handball shout - and keeper Aaron Reilly did just enough to crowd out Danny Hopkin after a mix up in the Bridge defence.

Then early in the second half it was the Wizards, who now look certain to finish second behind the Sports, who struck again.

Simon Thomas dribbled into the area and then from a tight angle, did brilliantly to smash a left footed shot that went across Hopson and in off the post.

But within moments, the visitors struck in style as Lewis Banks unleashed a 30 yard shot that curled over Reilly and nestled in the top corner.

From then on, it was one way traffic. Anthony Couzens had a header blocked by Reilly from point blank range and Niall Kinsella was inches over with a long range shot.

Thomas and his back four showed real resilience in dealing what was thrown at them but more chances came, Couzens stabbing a close range shot over before Harries shot wastefully wide inside the area.

Veteran keeper Reilly was off his line in time to deny Summers as he tried to latch onto a long ball, and then in the dying seconds Fishguard sub Jac Pepper floated in a cross that evaded everyone only to bounce back off the bar.

It means Brian Kinsella's side will now try again on Tuesday when they host Camrose, while Bridge now wait until April 25th for their next fixture at home to Kilgetty.

Merlins Bridge 2nds: Aaron Reilly, Dan Williams, Simon Morgan, Paul Thomas, Joe Haworth, Paul Thomas, Josh Thomas, James Skudder, Jamie Palmer, Nathan Thomas (Arron Devine HT), Simon Thomas, Steve Mcnabney.

Fishguard Sports: Dean Hopson, Anthony Couzens, Matthew Lewis (Gareth Mathias 76), Billy Moore, Patrick Hughes, Niall Kinsella, Danny Hopkin, Steve Lewis (Keegan Summers HT), Lewis Banks, Ieuan Lewellyn (Jac Pepper 76), Matt Harries.

Referee: Angus Scourfield.