Disappointment as Pembrokeshire jobless figures increase

First published in Milford Mercury news
Last updated

The number of people claiming unemployment benefits in Pembrokeshire is increasing, latest figures show.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics for December 2012 show that 1,563 people were claiming while not working in Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire, 4.9% of the economically active population.

That is 242 higher than in November 2012 and 52 higher than December 2011.

In Preseli Pembrokeshire 1,490 were claiming in December 2012, which is 46 fewer than in December 2011 but up 134 on November 2012.

Stephen Crabb MP said he was disappointed to see an increase in the numbers of unemployed claimants after they had been dropping for several months.

"It goes to show how fragile the situation remains and the need for even greater efforts in this area.

"I know that the local Job Centre Plus and the work programme teams are currently working incredibly hard to keep moving people off the job less rolls.

"In the months ahead we are likely to see mixed news and there are no grounds for complacency whatsoever."

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:37pm Thu 24 Jan 13

Tina2 says...

"In the months ahead we are likely to see mixed news and there are no grounds for complacency whatsoever."


And in the months ahead we are likely to see fewer jobs as well.
"In the months ahead we are likely to see mixed news and there are no grounds for complacency whatsoever." And in the months ahead we are likely to see fewer jobs as well. Tina2
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree